Monday, September 11, 2006

information economics

I'm afraid I have little to say about Leadbeater's piece, "Living on Thin Air." It's tuff I've heard before--yes, things have become destabilized, and yes some people are ending up better than others. My partner lives that same kind of freelance computer whiz existence, while I've chosen to go the (relatively) secure university professor route. We figure we can hedge our bets that way. This would be much different if we had national health care, incidentally, which I presume Leadbeater (as a resident of London) does have. But what good does it do to call for a new economic system without a great deal of specifics, as Leadbeater does here? He is dissatisfied with the market/capitalist system, the community system (is this communism? It's hard to tell) doesn't work for him, and the "Third Way" (which, I'll admit, I never really understood) also won't cut it. We should have as our goal the speading of knowledge--presumably to that it is a commodity, so that everyone can enjoy it, and we have fewer of those economic giants hoarding all the good stuff in the economy. But without solutions, I'm afraid he had little to add to what I've already read about directions for the "new economy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home