Friday, December 22, 2006

so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Hi Greg!

I always make my students write a little cover letter for their blogs, and I guess because of that, I feel compelled to do so. Teaching habits are hard to break. :)

I enjoyed the class very much, got some tips on some books to add to my choose-your-own-adventure prelims list (I'm taking them next summer), and in particular, enjoyed doing the research on open source software. In fact, I think I'm going to present something on the community's response to legal challenges at a conference in the spring. So, thanks for the opportunity to do some interesting, in-depth research as well.

About the blog...I didn't post on every reading. I read more than I posted on, and I sometimes forgot to post, stayed up too late reading, etc. But I think more than that, I had a lot of difficulty trying to make myself post short see?-I-did-the-reading posts, and that's all I would have had time for if I had posted on every reading. Instead, I thought a lot about the posts I did do, tried to use them to connect readings and ideas in the class to general thoughts I was having about technology and writing, etc. It probably sounds like a cop-out, and at some level it is, but I did take the blog seriously. And I did find it helpful as I digested all the material from the class and tried to make it relevant to my studies.

It was certainly useful for me to be on the writing end of the class blog! Perhaps I have more empathy for my students now. They're right; it's a lot of work. ;)

Thanks!
-A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home