Saturday, October 21, 2006

missing the dot.com boat

Zook's book made me speculate a lot about my own travels through life during the late '90s and early '00s. Mostly I wonder: why didn't I get a job at a dot.com in San Francisco, rather than working on my teaching certification? That calamitous climax of capital called to me as I finished up my undergrad degree, but I chose another path. There were good reasons for me to do so--there always are--but I could have used a wild and speculative experience like that in my relative youth. Eventually, I found my way into technology in the year 2000, although this was in the software rather than the internet industry. I'm certainly less behind the times now than I was before 2000, but once you miss the boat with technology, it's hard to catch up. Perhaps this is similar to what Zook describes with the venture capitalists; once you have funding, it's easy to get more, but when you need it, it's tough to get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home